I didn't realize how much time I actually had PK (Pre-Kate) until she came. I knew we'd be busy after she arrived, but the reality of it smacks you in the face. I'm functioning on three to four hours of sleep a day (it's true). How? I have no idea. I didn't think I'd ever be capable of it. Turns out I was wrong.
Life with our baby girl has been interesting. For me, the days have blurred one into the other. She doesn't sleep much in her crib. She doesn't seem to like being flat on her back. We're slowly getting her used to it, but until we manage it, she's a night owl. That means I am, too. On the upside, I'm finding some excellent shows on past midnight - Doctor Who marathons, I Love Lucy, space documentaries, DVDs I haven't watched yet, things I've DVR'd, etc.
Breastfeeding has been particularly painful. According to the lactation consultant, our little girl is tongue-tied. That flap of skin or tissue that connects the underside of the tongue to the back of the mouth - the frenulum? - attatches closer toward the tip of her tongue than in most people. This makes it difficult for her to get a good latch. It's probably the reason that she's not gaining weight as quickly as the pediatrician would like, why I'm constantly bleeding now, and why I'm not producing as much milk as is necessary to keep her growing well. As a result, I'm now pumping rather than directly breastfeeding (it hurts too much to continue BF) and we're supplementing with formula. I don't want to, but whatever is best for our girl, we'll do.
We're still in awe that we have this little person to care for now. My worries during the pregnancy have now changed to worry over her health and safety. One look at that little face . . . . We want to protect her from everything.
Oh, my, that's an interesting odor. Someone has a messy diaper . . . . it's not me.
2 comments:
She is GORGEOUS!!!!! Congratulations!!
What a sweet baby girl! So glad you are finding ways to be creative as you take care of her!
Post a Comment