That baby knows how to give me heart failure. I was looking at the baby gate we bought for the top of the stairs to see if it screwed into the wall. I’d taken it out of the box and was reading the directions – it does screw into the wall – when I looked over to find Kathleen chewing on one of the Styrofoam blocks protecting the corners of the gate. I took it away from her. There were Styrofoam pieces in her mouth. Wonderful: a choking hazard. I opened her mouth, something she was not happy about, got all the pieces I could find while she screamed, and prayed that I’d found them all. I was checking on her throughout the evening, paranoid that I would find that she’d stopped breathing, having choked on a piece of Styrofoam that I’d missed.
I tried something different for bath time. I’ve read in a number of places that you can save a little time by bathing with your child. I thought it sounded a little dumb and not something that could be done long term, but I decided to give it a go. I’m not comfortable sitting with her in the bath tub. I don’t think it’s a good idea. How can I keep her from drowing while I’m trying to wash my hair? So we showered. If you want real motivation to take a five minute shower, bring a screaming baby in with you. The acoustics are outstanding for achieving staggering, ear-ringing decibels. We are both clean, but we are not trying that again.
That’s something else, the reason we had to take a shower: I let her help with her feeding. I wasn’t intending to let her try, but she was so happy to try to feed me with her spoon that when she decided she was done eating, I let her have the bowl. She stuck her fingers in it and smiled up at me wonderingly. She did it again and again, feeling the fascinating mush beneath her hands. She laughed. By the time she dropped the bowl on the floor for Sadie to finish, she was covered in Mango/Apple/Carrot from hair to diaper. I’m so very glad I decided to take off her clothes first and that we have a super-sucker wet-and-dry vac, dachshund model, to take care of the floor.
1 comment:
Those are such sweet stories and bring back nice memories. Hands down, the choking thing has got to be the most stressful thing about baby/toddlerhood.
Post a Comment