Thursday, October 11, 2012

Potty Training . . . One Day . . . I Hope

I’m trying to figure out potty training. I don’t know if Kathleen is ready or not. She tells us when she’s wet maybe 40 – 50% of the time. Just yesterday she saw a diaper in my hand and lay down on the couch for me to change her even though I hadn’t been planning to yet. She has been wiping her Mimi dolls (stuffed Minnie Mouse toys) just as if they were being changed (and going through a boat load of tissues in the process). That seems promising. But of course, every time I ask her if she needs to go potty, she tells me “No potty.”

I honestly don’t think our recent vacation helped. I’m certain that set us back a good six months. It was those darn restroom toilets: they’re loud. She started whimpering and crying every time I carried her into the bathroom almost from the beginning of the trip. I had to hold her while going to the bathroom myself – I dare you to imagine that. I tried to insert myself between baby girl and the toilet before flushing, but it made no noticeable difference in those tiny stalls. Just this past Sunday when I had to use the bathroom – DH wasn’t home, so I left the door open to be able to watch her – she stood outside the bathroom door with a worried look on her face and shaking. Shaking. How on earth do we get over shaking? She’ll never want to go potty at all.

Baby girl is definitely into her terrible twos (given that she's two today I shouldn't be surprised). You can imagine what her routine was like while we were on vacation – there was none – and this is a girl who likes her routine. She went to bed late and woke late every day. Picture the chaos when we tried to wake her for daycare a good hour earlier than she was ready for. Friday and Monday were screaming, wailing tantrums. What a way to start the day. It took two of us to get her out of her PJs and into her clothes for the day yesterday. Strapping her into her car seat prolonged the adventure nicely. It was terrible. Thank goodness we got her to bed earlier last night and eased her into the day this morning. We wouldn’t survive many tantrum mornings.

I am thankful she’s not much for tantrums. She has her moments, but given a choice, she prefers the sit down strike method for expressing disapproval. She’ll go limp and lay herself on the ground. It’s almost as if she’s putting herself into time out. After a few minutes, she’s her usual happy self. In fact, she has been putting herself into time outs. Several times this weekend she got mad after we told her she couldn’t do something. Instead of throwing a fit, she ran back to her room and crawled into her crib and lay there. No one was to soothe, coddle, or touch her: she wouldn’t have it (insert petulant “no” with wave of dismissal here). Three minutes later, she climbed back out to resume her play.

No comments: