I was reading a recent posting from The Infertile Mind, What infertility has given me....:
I don’t tend to be particularly grateful for infertility. I don’t think God is trying to teach me a lesson with it. I don’t think anyone should have to deal with it. I think it’s total bull****.
I couldn't agree more. I'm not grateful for infertility. I don't celebrate it. I don't appreciate the struggle in any way, shape, or form.
But I do appreciate the fact that I'm able to get through it a better person than I was the day before. I appreciate the empathy I've learned and the people I otherwise would never have met. I'm thankful for their understanding, their comments, their faith, and their beliefs. I am happy with the life - the love - with my husband that has continued to grow throughout the journey.
I can say with compete honesty that I never will embrace infertility itself, but I will always cherish the consequences: those things which make the journey bearable and the person I have become because of it.
6 comments:
I don't think I can say I've "embraced" IF either...I'm just learning to live with it and move on with my life. I couldn't say I love it and I'm grateful for it...it's just something that has happened..it is what it is. I'm thankful that I a lot in my life to appreciate and wonderful people in my life (including bloggers) who have helped me on this journey too! Like those words you quoted..IF is not something I would ever wish on anyone..I wasn't deserving of this..there is no reason..it's just my life, the life God gave me and He wants me to do something good because of it. I hope that is what I am doing by becoming a teacher! Good post. :)
I think when (most) people say they are grateful for IF (or any other diagnosis, tragedy, life altering event), that is exactly what they mean. They are grateful for how they were able to handle it, the knowledge/awareness/empathy they gained from it, and the relationships that improved because of it.
I totally get her quote but I wouldn't change my current situation if I had the power. Some days yes, but other days no. In this horrible situation of IF it has given me so much more then I ever thought possible. God always makes beautiful of something so ugly! Maybe I have a few loose screws, because I am so greatful for my IF! :) hehehehe I'm working on that post in my head. :)
Hi! I just found your blog today through another blog. Like many who read here, I find comfort and renewed hope when I read about my felow cyber sisters who are in the same struggle as me. It particularly helps because there is not a single person in my life who has or is currently struggling with IF.
I really enjoyed today's post. It so clearly captures how I feel about IF. I never could place into the words that I love the patience, endurance, bonding with DH, and other lessons that have come because of IF, but I HATE the disease itself. You've helped me do that and now I know how to handle that going forward. Thanks :)
Wow - you featured my post - that's really cool. I really enjoyed your additional thoughts, especially your last sentence: "I can say with compete honesty that I never will embrace infertility itself, but I will always cherish the consequences: those things which make the journey bearable and the person I have become because of it." Powerful stuff. I'll definitely be checking back and hope you do, too.
I'm going to go with my stock "endured the cross, despising its shame" Scripture quote here - Christ accepted terrible suffering for the sake of a good OUTCOME. If our Lord didn't enjoy suffering for its own sake, I'm not sure that we are instructed to do so. (I understand the concept of a cross being an opportunity to unite ourselves to Christ, but, strictly speaking, that's not suffering for its own sake, either.) Also, infertility, like sickness, weakness, and natural sufferings (rather than the 'man-caused' type), deficiencies, and deformities of all other kinds, is an evil in the natural order of things, one that we're naturally and spiritually called to fight. Otherwise we'd be exhorted to starve the hungry, rather than feeding them...
OK, this wasn't the brief comment it was intended to be, but in sum, while there's nothing wrong with a spiritually mature gratitude for infertility if that's the way you roll, I'm confident there's no requirement to be grateful for the barrenness itself.
Post a Comment