Friday, May 7, 2010

Breathing a sigh of relief

I get worked up before every appointment with this baby. I can't help it. Clear, reasoned common sense doesn't have a chance against irrational panic and the scars of IF.

We had another prenatal appointment yesterday. Before I get into that, you have to understand that I'm barely (in my opinion) showing and I haven't felt the baby move. Every other woman seems to have felt her LO move by 18 weeks. I panic even though I realize it doesn't generally happen for first time mothers until about 20 weeks. My worries were:
  • There's no more heartbeat; the baby stopped growing two weeks ago
  • There's a heartbeat, but it's too slow or it doesn't sound right
  • The heartbeat is okay, but the baby is too small

So we got to the appointment, I climbed on the table, and Dr. Stegman set up the Doppler. Two seconds later, we hear a strong, healthy whoosh-whoosh filling the room. Oh, thank Heavens. Then he checks the size of my uterus . . . it's up to my bellybutton. According to the pregnancy sites and books which I should really stop reading, it should be about two finger-widths below that. The baby’s growing well.

All that worry for nothing. And I can guarantee, by the next appointment, I will be the same way. Four weeks is entirely too long between appointments.

The Level 2 ultrasound is set up for the Tuesday after next. We're finally going to find out if we're having a boy or a girl. To the most impatient woman on the face of the planet, this is good news. I am not at all worried about the ultrasound. I know it's meant primarily to check for anatomical anomalies, but I'm not worried about that . . . yet. I'm sure by that Monday, I'll be back to normal. In the meantime, I hope to revel in the good news.

7 comments:

Second Chances said...

Wonderful news! I totally hear you on the worry. I didn't feel my first move until around 20 weeks, this one just much earlier but not without worry because it's still sporadic. So the days I don't feel it, I worry. In between appointments, worry. 2 days after appointments, worry. Do you know the St. Michael prayer? It's perfect for this "battle" we're in to bring our little ones into the world and keep us from worrying. Can't wait to find out what you're having! We should know as well in a week or two!!! I'm guessing you're having a boy. Just a guess.

Percolating Petals said...

Whew, what a relief!! And I totally understand your feelings. I have been extremely nervous at every one of my prenatal appointments so far. The IF worries are definitely still there. I'm glad to hear that someone else is finding out the gender of the baby too...we find out on June 15th! :)

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

So wonderful to hear! I cannot wait to hear what ALL of you are going to be having! If you have little girls, then I can matchmake with my little boys, ha ha! (See, I am selfish... what's in it for me, ha!)

Fertile Thoughts said...

Wonderful wonderful news!!! I am so happy to hear things are going so well. YEH! This is just great :)

Prayers for you all:)
Amber

mrsblondies said...

I'm glad to hear that you are both doing well.

Kim said...

Great news, must be so happy to have that behind you! Now go enjoy your mothers day weekend!

Javetta Allen Mercadel said...

I echo every sentiment of this post!!! I get so worked up on appointment day and DREAD hearing my name called to walk into the examination room. I always fear that there will be no heartbeat...but God has not disappointed. It's been there every time ;).

Next appointment: June 1 and we're also finding out whether it's a girl or a boy.

I look forward to your announcement!