Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Packing away the baby things (or out with the old and in with the new)

Kate will be a year old in two very short weeks. She's about 21 pounds and 29 inches, a far cry from the 5 pound, 12.2 ounce, 19-3/4 inch newborn that she was. She's crawling all over creation, pulling herself up on everything, pulling down everything she can reach (full coffee cups have been relocated), flinging food far and wide (and I mean that literally), talking (although it's not in a language anyone can understand, yet), cruising, giggling, initiating peek-a-boo, handing us things she's just removed from the end table, pounding her activity table into submission (the batteries really should be replaced) . . . she's turning into a toddler. When did this happen?

I used her nap times this past weekend to pack away all the things she can no longer wear. It's astonishing how much she's grown. I spent more time than I should have just staring at her newborn onsies. How on earth did she fit into that? I remember when they hung on her. I remember having to roll up the sleeves. Where did my tiny bundle of baby go?

I miss some things I never thought I would. Breastfeeding for one thing. We only breastfed for about three weeks before her tongue tie and poor latch pushed me over to pumping. It was painful. I'd cringed (I'm not exaggerating) when I came time to feed her. The nursing pads would stick to the scabs. I couldn't lay down on my stomach. There were times when I became so engorged that it felt like two boulders were strapped to my chest. But I miss it.

I miss the all-nighters we had during those first six or seven weeks when she'd sleep only during the day. I'd stay up until 6:00 in the morning when DH would take over for an hour or two so I could rest. It felt like a dark eternity then, but I miss the one-on-one time I had with her. It was just the two of us while the rest of the world slept.

I miss the way she fit in my lap. I miss her dark hair (but I love the blond curls). I miss her thin, delicate fingers. I miss being able to put her down in one spot and count on her remaining in that spot until I returned.

I miss a lot about my baby, but at the same time, I absolutely love the little person she's becoming. Her personality is evolving every day. She's able to show us that she loves us when she crawls over to us and holds her arms out to be picked up or gives us those adorable baby hugs. Even when she plops her little bum on top of our legs, feet, or heads (never lay on the floor if you don't want a face full of baby bottom) sends waves of awe through us.

I have a feeling these next two weeks will involve a lot of reminiscing over what's happened during the past year. It's bittersweet. I won't forget a moment of it. And I will thoroughly enjoy what's to come.

No comments: