Thursday, August 23, 2012

Down and Up

Our dear, sweet daughter refused to go to sleep last night. We had a smooth evening up until the point I put her into the crib. She didn’t fuss when we told her we weren’t turning on the TV first thing upon entering the house, she actually sat with us and ate some dinner instead of screaming and throwing it all on the floor in a bid to get out of her seat, we had a delightful, fuss-free bath time, and we lounged on the couch for a nice wind down with Mickey Mouse Club House. She even willingly walked back to her room when I told her it was time for the bedtime routine in the middle of a Doc McStuffins episode. It was all going so well.

I don’t know what happened when I put her in her crib. She was obviously tired. Her eyes looked heavy. I thought she’d roll over, grab her blankets and Minnies, and play with her hair for a few minutes. No, she wanted my hair. I let her pull it for a short time until she let it go in favor of her own. I turned off the light. I told her I loved her. I walked out of the room and down the hall. She started crying. She wouldn’t let up either, which is unusual these days. I went back there to settle her back down and even sat outside the door but within sight when it seemed she needed me close by to be able to settle down. She still wouldn’t settle down. DH finally took her out to the couch so I could have some time to take my shower before bed. I don’t know when she finally conked out, but it was well after 9:00.

The result of the bumpy, bumpy night was a grumpy, grumpy baby this morning. She refused her milk and blanket. The diaper was an Olympic event both to remove and replace. She refused to cooperate in any way to get dressed. I couldn’t put the dress on her that I’d been planning because she kept pulling down the diaper cover. She even pulled down the shorts when I decided to exchange her outfit for something else thinking she just wasn’t in the mood for a dress today. In short, she was trying my last nerve.

I’m telling you, I am getting her to bed earlier tonight even if it means absolutely no TV this evening or going out to play with the neighbor's daughter. This getting to bed after 8:30 thing has got to stop (and 8:30 would be early).We are not repeating this morning over again. We need to get her back on her routine. I won’t have any last nerve left to try if this continues.

I’m happy to say that she managed to get all the grumps out of her system by the time we made it to daycare. She was an angel with Miss Mae. This is good because her teachers are the ones who are going to have to spend all day with her. It would be a long day if she continued as she started out. The silly goose.

I forgot that her room had a field trip to Whitaker Center yesterday morning. Baby girl had a wonderful time. Their KidsPlace is a little child’s heaven. They have an ambulance they can “drive”, a climbing and crawling area, water tables with different levels, channels, dams which they can experiment with, a Midtown Market with baskets and veggies and scales and a hand operated checkout station, a stage, a place to help “build” a house, and an arts area. I’m sure she wore herself out. I thought she’d have fun. I always enjoyed that place, and there’s more to do there than there was when I was a child. We need to take her there ourselves. I’d like to see her running around to all the exhibits.

I wish I could post a picture of the KidsPlace, but Blogger and my computer don't ever agree. It really sounds like a lot of fun. I'm an adult (ostensibly), and I wouldn't mind trying some of those activities. I suppose a link will have to do.

No comments: