Thursday, August 2, 2012

Waiting for the other shoe

Well, she’s not croupy yet, but I thought she sounded snuffly last night when I checked on her before bed, and she felt slightly warmer than usual this morning when I got her up. Maybe it’s all my imagination. I hope so, but I can’t help but feel like I’m waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I think I know which child is the one with the confirmed croup. I'm guessing it's the son of one of my high school classmates (small world). I heard their teacher telling his mom how he napped yesterday – how his throat was irritated but that he seemed to do okay after a drink – and he seemed subdued to me this morning. He was hibernating in the barrel fort rather than deviling the other kids as he usually does. He's usually at Kathleen the moment they're in the same room trying to get a rise out of her. I needn't mention how excedingly easy it is to get a rise out of these days.

I know I’m blowing this thing out of proportion, and if it weren't for the cyber friend who lost her son, I'm sure I'd be more reasonable about the whole thing. But she’s our one and only and it took a lot to get her here. I worry. We worry. We can't help ourselves.

On a lighter note, she’s becoming ornery at the dinner table. Two days in a row now she’s systematically dumped her entire dinner on the floor. First the juice goes. The milk follows. Then comes the fork, and saving the best for last, her full, barely touched plate. It was especially exasperating on Monday after she’d spent the previous 20 minutes screaming because dinner wasn’t on the table immediately when she wanted it (she obviously inherited my patience). Really, can I tell you how difficult it is to drain boiling pasta while there’s a toddler glued to your leg screaming out her frustrations?

3 comments:

Leslie said...

I hope you are imagining things. LOL! I hope that Kathleen avoids the croup, but I completely understand your concerns & fears!

I am not sure if you have tried this or if you prefer not to have Kathleen watch TV, but I have started to put in an Elmo video for my little guy to watch if I am making dinner. Often I make enough for a couple of nights so that I do not have to cook every night! My little guy is impatient too so the video helps distract him for a bit. I was initially a limited TV/no video etc mom but I was desperate! The things we do that we think we will not do!

Hope that this is a short phase!!

Praying for Hope said...

I vowed Kathleen wouldn't watch TV until she turned two. That blew out the window about a month ago. Recordings of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse have bought me time in the kitchen. I'm hesitant to try Elmo: he drives me crazy. But I've heard other mothers say their kids are crazy about him.

Summer said...

We didn't introduce Elmo to Madeline either for the same reason, but she somehow became addicted to him anyhow....he's the toddler gateway drug!