Monday, September 17, 2012

The perio thing - Day 4

Four days on after the pocket reduction surgery, and things are still going pretty well. It doesn't hurt, but I do get an annoying tingle when I stop taking the pain meds for a length of time. Again, it feels a lot like it used to a couple of days after I'd have my braces tightened way back in the dark ages. I'm sure the tingling will disappear eventually as my gums heal and my teeth adjust.

Something I feel worth mentioning is that my teeth feel slightly loose in the area where the procedure was done. It's normal from what I've read and they will almost always tighten back up after awhile. I personally don't like it. What is "almost always"? Does it mean 99.6% of the time or 81.3%? And what are the circumstances which would prevent it from happening? The Internet is fine for information as far as it goes, but it can leave you with more questions than you started out with.

My follow up appointment is next week. I'm am sure the periodontist will tell me if anything is amiss. All the same, I can't help worrying that my teeth are going to fall out during breakfast some morning. Don't worry, the procedure doesn't make your teeth that loose. I just have a huge fear of losing my teeth which blows all things which threaten their permanancy all out of proportion. I'm positive the loosening of the putty-like packing protecting the area and making it feel as if my teeth a wobbling in their sockets is only adding to the impression.
Oh, something else to mention, my gums look pale in the procedure area. That worried me until I remembered that all cuts and abrasions in the mouth turn white as they heal. It's normal. Even the Internet says it normal. No need for concern.

No comments: