Thursday, January 24, 2013

One little Boo

With thanks to my little girl who brought it home, I am getting over another stomach bug. The last time I came down with one was April 1997, two weeks before my grandfather died. I remember because I missed Sunday dinner, the last chance I'd have had to see him alive and healthy. And now I catch the the bug two years in a row. I guess this is another of thr risks you take when having a child. Of course, I'd rather get the stomach bug every year with her here than live a life sickness-free without her.
DH and I are settling more comfortably into our decision to have one child (notice I didn't say only one child: there's no only about her). Before the anti-abortion crew gets on my case ( actually, I think she unfortunately opted to stop following my blog at my first mention of having no more than one child back in 2010 after making an assmption that should never have been made), if some grand miracle were to occur (and believe me, it would be a miracle) we'd be shell-shocked but thrilled. Abortion has never been part of my vocabulary. I'm only saying that we are better understanding the advantages of one.
Baby girl is at an age where we're seeing the advantages of one more clearly. The financial advantage is a big one but not the primary. The biggest is probably the time we can spend with her. She is the center of our world. That doesn't mean we spoil her, but when she wants or needs our attention, she gets it. I can't help believing that she feels more secure and confident knowing we always have her back. I know I'd have been as a child if my brother hadn't arrived to divert attention away from me (no offense to him). It makes me better appreciate that we're able to provide it for our girl.

No comments: