Saturday, September 6, 2014

The Goose

That's one of my nicknames for my baby little girl. She has many, but that's the one in the lead just now. My sweet husband used to complain that she'd never know her proper name, I used it so infrequently. He tends to exaggerate. She hears it plenty when she's doing something she shouldn't ...

...which is quite frequently. She's pushing boundaries these days every chance she can it sometimes seems. I'm going to bet that the terrible twos and terrifying threes (which were neither particularly terrible nor terrifying) will be put to shame by the frightening fours. We'll see.

She has opinions now. That's the problem. Well, it is and it isn't. She has opinions and preferences and she wants them heard and considered. That's understandable, and she's correct. She's at that age, after all. So it's not so much a problem as it is a phase ... that will likely last through college. Everything a negotiation. This should be fun.

I love how she talks. She's at an age where she's still learning how to say things. I wish I could remember more of her more ingenious phrases, but constant fatigue (thank you perimenopause) has robbed me of my ... my mmmmmm ... um ... ... ... memory! ... Where was I?

Oh, yes, her Kathleen-isms.  My current favorite is "tucked out" which she uses in place of untucked. The sun is in her nose when she sneezes."I not sleepy!" That's another good one she always uses ... Handy crane (thank you Mickey Mouse Clubhouse). Every crane, backhoe, and bulldozer is a handy crane.

She's potty trained now. She finally trained back in May. I thought it would never happen, not until after I retired in 15 years, 10 months, and 4 days.  Mind you, it's day time only. She drinks too much water at bedtime, and coupled with the ability to sleep through a hurricane, isn't able to remain consistently dry all night. I'm still thrilled that she's even this far.

Hmm. It's bedtime now. Time to head back. Ice water in hand. We're set. Oh, heck. I was too slow. She's sitting down to watch Doctor Who. Doctor Who of all things. Not that I fault her taste. I mean, it is Doctor Who. We'll never get back there.

No comments: