Another cycle down the tubes . . . no pun intended. It's becoming increasingly difficult to remain optimistic through all of this. I find this a serious test a faith . . . and I'm failing. Not completely, I still bounce back, but I feel like a failure every time I question. A whole slew of why's are circling around my head right now. Answers to a few of them would be nice. Let me rephrase that. I'm sure I've had a lot of answers, most of which I'm too blind to see. It would be nice to have some obvious answers which even I can't possibly miss.
This whole infertility thing would be considerably easier to handle at work if I didn't sit on the other side of a thin, cubicle wall from a very pregnant woman. Every day - EVERY day - several times a day, it's baby talk. This has been going on since September and I still have three more months to endure. Why? Heaven help me, if I survive this with my sanity intact, it will be a miracle.
The worst thing about this: the woman who is pregnant suffered through years of infertility herself. She's pregnant with her first through IVF. She knows that I'm going through the same struggle. And yet the baby talk continues non-stop. She even asked me once how I was doing. I don't remember what I told her, but I do remember her response. She told me I was lucky, it's not that great. How quickly they forget. I know that once, she would have given anything to be in the situation she's in right now. Judging by the constant chatter, she's happy to be there.
I don't begrudge her the opportunity. I like her. She's a good, generous person who's understandably caught up in the moment. Why do I need to be a witness to it every day? It's like life is rubbing salt in the wound and having a lot of fun doing it. And every day, I go home and ask when it will be my turn. It's getting harder to believe that it ever will be.
I'm living in my headphones whenever I'm at my desk. I drown out as much noise as I can with music, BostonPete.com Old Time Radio, Harry Potter books on CD, you name it. My headphones are my friends. They keep me sane.
You know, the sad thing is, we haven't been trying for a child for very long - not as long as many women. It's only been 16 months ("only"). Starting my 21st cycle now, it feels like this has been going on for an eternity. Since time began. When did this become my life? I need to find myself another obsession to distract me.
And some chocolate.
No comments:
Post a Comment