Thursday, May 21, 2009

Oh, not again.

DH and I got another BD session in last night. It went off without a hitch which surprised me. I didn't think we'd manage to get anything in, since it happened after DH's usual Wednesday evening call to his mother . . . where he learned once again that she will be having a yet another back surgery. Somehow, some way, she fractured one of her vertebra. It's causing pain in her arms. It won't heal on its own, so they need to go in and do whatever. We have no idea when the surgery will be. Next month?

Sigh. Just when I was beginning to think that we'd be able to take a few extra vacation days for ourselves this year, maybe around our anniversary and Christmas. And maybe one or two some other time just for the heck of it. Well, there go the "for the heck of it" vacation days. They'll be used when we take her for her surgery.

I'm beginning to think uncharitable thoughts about fate again. And MIL's doctors (incompetent sods who don't understand the concept of communication, with each other or their patients). And their hospital which is entirely too big for its own good. The place has become an unwieldy juggernaut.

I want to smack someone. I'm thinking any one of her doctors will do. I won't, of course, but I'm in a mood. When I think that the last surgery was only 63 days ago . . . .

Every time I hear that she needs another surgery, my stomach drops to my feet as that horrible, hollow, panicky feeling sets in. The last one turned out well. This one, I hope, won't be as involved. If it's not too bad, they can do an outpatient procedure where they glue the fracture together. They won't know what they'll be doing until the get the CAT scan results back. Fingers crossed.

1 comment:

the misfit said...

That's CRAZY. Two back surgeries in three months? Is she even recovered from the first one?