Tuesday, September 8, 2009

The Anniversary Post

Back from our 2nd anniversary vacation. Aside from AF appearing on our anniversary just as I'd predicted, we had a lovely time. The break from everything was perfect. Now, I think I'll try my hand at the anniversary questions and answers post (belated).

Where/how did you meet?
We met in our graduate Marketing class at Bloomsburg University. Neither of us had originally scheduled to take that class. I didn’t have a car (the class was off campus), and DH, just starting his graduate studies, had only planned to take one class that first semester. Dr. Tehrani, our counselor for the MBA program, convinced us to take the class anyway. The first day of class nearly didn’t happen. When 6:00 rolled around, the area was blanketed by a snow and ice storm. Two foreign exchange students and I were hitching a ride with the professor. By the time we finally arrived, it was late and there were only three seats left. The two others chose the two seats together leaving me the seat beside . . . guess who? My future husband.

How long have you known each other?
15 ½ years.

How long after you met did you start dating?
Two months.

Where did you get engaged?
In our kitchen on Mother’s Day with our cat and dog in attendance. DH wanted it to be a family affair.

How long was your engagement?
Not quite 3 ½ months.

How long have you been married?
Two years (yes, we’d been dating for 13 years before we were engaged).

What is your anniversary?
September 1.

What kind of cake did you serve?
The best. My stomach is growling thinking about it. It was three layers of white butter cake with butter cream icing. We opted against a cake topper choosing instead to decorate it with a cascade of roses and baby’s breath down the front.

Where was your wedding?
We were married in an outdoor courtyard of our favorite restaurant: Visaggio’s Ristorante (www.visaggios.com/weddings_banquets.htm). It was beautiful. It was also the location of our reception. We chose it for the food: absolutely incredible. The owner, a former pastry chef, treats all of her wedding couples like family – she is Italian, after all – and was determined to make our wedding perfect. It was. Our reception was simple: no dancing, no DJ, just us, our family and some friends, and a few well chosen old time jazz CDs playing in the background. Picture Father of the Bride. We wanted it to be more like a family gathering with good food and conversation. That’s what most of my family’s gatherings are.

What did you serve for your meal?
Our appetizers were Formaggio in Carrozza, bacon wrapped scallops, mini quiches, and petite beef wellingtons. We had a Sorrento salad followed by a choice of Langaustino Chowder and a delicious vegetarian soup which for the life of me I can’t remember the name. Next came the Sorbetto Intermezzo to “cleanse the palate” before the main course. For our entrees, we offered either Chicken Bracciole or Filet Mignon plus a vegetarian option, eggplant, for my cousin and me, and a side of asparagus and Champagne Risotto. We had white and red wine available throughout the meal. I’m not a wine person, but it was quite good. After the wedding cake, we ended the reception with a Venetian Hour, an assortment of freshly made Italian cookies and chocolate covered strawberries.

Man, I’m starving.

How many people were in your bridal party?
None. It was just the two of us. Again, we were keeping it simple.

Are you still friends with them all?
I’d have to say yes, I still love my husband very much.

Did you or your spouse cry during the ceremony?
No, we were too busy smiling.

Most special moment of the day?
The part when we said I do (or in my case, "I most definitely do:").

Any funny moments?
It was during the meal. I bent over the table to reach for something – the wine, I think – and I moved my plate with my very padded bust. I’m quite flat chested, so I don’t generally need to worry about anything getting in the way in that vicinity. My husband certainly got a kick out of it.

Any big disasters?
I was . . . shall we say concerned that my mom wouldn’t make it in time for the wedding. She has the terrible habit of being late for everything which has only gotten worse since she retired. She missed my cousin’s entire wedding ceremony the year before, only arriving after he and his new wife were about to come out of the church. She did make it in time for mine, for which I was and am grateful. She even arrived in time for the pictures, just before the photographer.

Where did you go on your honeymoon?
Home. We did go to Niagara on our first anniversary.

If you were to do your wedding over again, what would you change?
Of the wedding itself, absolutely nothing. If I could have changed anything, I’d have had my grandparents there. They both died years ago. I like to think they were there in spirit.

What side of the bed do you sleep on?
Mine and occasionally DH’s. :) I sleep on DH’s right.

What size is your bed?
Queen.

Greatest strength as a couple?
We have a very simple belief: we are in love now, we are married now, and we will be for the rest of our lives. We believe that with our entire being.

Greatest challenge as a couple?
Need you ask?

Who pays the bills?
My husband.

What is your song?
We don’t have one.

What did you dance your first dance to?
We didn’t dance. Food, drink, and conversation.

Describe your wedding dress?
Gorgeous. It’s an off-white sheath type dress with spaghetti straps. I could have worn it without the straps, but I was worried I wouldn’t have the cleavage to hold it up. I didn’t need that sort of accident at my wedding. The only alteration it needed were two pads to fill out the bust; otherwise, it fit perfectly.

What kind of flowers did you have at your wedding?
Red and white roses. My bouquet was actually an arrangement of silk roses accented with silk lily of the valley and fern leaves. I still have it. Our centerpieces were red roses while trains of red roses and baby’s breath decorated the wedding arch and our cake. We stayed at the restaurant overnight – they have guest rooms and it was part of the package. When we went back on Monday to return the key, we saw our wedding flowers decorating the restaurant. I was honored.

Are your wedding bands engraved?
Nope.

3 comments:

prayerfuljourney said...

I've been thinking about cake lately...so when I read about your wedding cake,,,buttercream icing and all...I got to thinking about baking. Thanks for sharing the lovely details of your day! Happy Anniversary! 13 years of dating....huh? Wow...I would have had a short engagement too. Now the question is...how did you pull off a wedding in such a short time??? :)

Praying for Hope said...

Luck. Pure luck. And a small wedding helped.

A said...

Happy Anniversary! Sorry about AF's timing, but I am so glad that you were blessed with a great weekend anyway!