Friday, April 2, 2010

Junior, IF, and the World

We saw Junior during the Nuchal Translucency Scan yesterday. It was amazing. The little bugger was moving all about, hands and legs everywhere. The ultrasound tech had problems getting the proper measurements since Junior was in no mood to cooperate. Most of what we could see was his/her back and one full out moon (exhibitionist). At one point, I saw the baby open his/her mouth and put a thumb in. Incredible.

After about 20 minutes, the u/s tech finally encouraged the baby to move into the proper position, and she was able to get the measurements she needed. According to the doctor who later reviewed the images, nothing of any concern stood out. Actually, I think his exact words were that he saw no "severe abnormalities" which I took to mean there was nothing noticeable that he saw to indicate Down's Syndrome, Trisomy 18, or Trisomy 13. After we get the results from the blood work next week, we'll have the full screening results. I think they'll turn out well (knock on wood).

An interesting experience at the hospital yesterday: There was a TV in the waiting room tuned to the news. While we were waiting to see the genetic counselor, a piece came up on infertility and the emotional toll it takes on couples. I thought it was well done and gave a pretty good description on what it's like. Throughout that piece, I could tell that no other woman in that room had dealt with infertility in any way: I was the only one to pay attention.

I've heard women say they need to get the news of IF out there so the world understands. The problem is, the only people it matters to are those experiencing it. No wonder no one ever wants to talk about it. The world doesn't care. It's a long, lonely road.

4 comments:

... said...

Good news on Junior. I'm so happy you got to spend so much time seeing him/her.

Rachel said...

You have no idea how happy I am to find your blog. I have been suffering with endometriosis and infertility for a while now. I have an app. in a few weeks with the same Napro Dr and have started charting. I have no energy left to deal with this and your blog gives me hope that I may be able to get a solution.
Thanks

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

So great to see Junior on u/s! What a wonderful Easter it will be!

Rachel, you will find many amazing ladies around these blogs who are going the NaPro route! You have hit the jackpot, as they all have TONS of info!!

Praying for Hope said...

Rachel, if you have Dr. Stegman, he's very thorough. He'll go over everything with you in detail to make sure you understand. He will also recommend a laparoscopy. The worst part about that is the anticipation. Recovery wasn't too bad at all (for me, at least).