Monday, June 7, 2010

The baby and the puppy

I consider it a good night when I've only woken up three times. Last night was not a good night. Neither was the night before. This thing I've heard about loosening ligaments and aching hips is true. Not even the pillow between the legs helps. While I'm at it, I might also mention that the rumor about heartburn is true too. Who knew?

I'm not complaining, more like taking note for the record. I can deal with this for another four months if it means Kate is growing big and strong, just as she should. And she is too. According to the Level II ultrasound results, she's measuring at exactly the 50th percentile, something the doctor said she never sees. She's looking perfectly healthy. That's my girl.

Something interesting: during the last appointment, the doctor held the Doppler to my abdomen as usual. We heard the familiar and welcome whoosh-whoosh, but it was fading in and out. I assumed it was the way the Doppler worked. I was wrong. The doctor pointed out that she wasn't moving the probe: Kate was moving. We could hear our daughter moving around on the inside even though I couldn't feel her. Isn't that the coolest thing?

On to non-baby news. We learned our pup has the very beginnings of back problems, a common affliction in dachshunds. She wasn't herself on Tuesday or Wednesday. She wouldn't eat her regular food (although treats and burger-and-rice were noooooo problem), she refused to go up or down steps, and she'd occasionally whimper when we'd pick her up. Fortunately, we had her annual vet appointment scheduled for Thursday. By then, she seemed back to her usual self, but the vet was able to diagnose some discomfort when he manipulated her back end a certain way. The x-rays confirmed it. The last two discs are bulging slightly due to slightly deformed vertebrae. DH nearly fainted.

We have a plan of action as this is likely to be a lifelong problem. It's up to us keep her weight down, keep her active, watch for those things that might aggravate the problem, and medicate when necessary. Easier said than done, but we'll do what we need to do. She's our baby. Will she cooperate? Probably not, but that's how dachshunds operate. She's my independent, little beggar.

3 comments:

More Than Anything said...

Grow baby Kate grow!

I'm sorry to hear about your Puppy. They are pitiful when they're hurt.

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

So sad to hear about your pup! Dachshunds are the cutest things, but I have heard about the back issues. So glad little Kate is such a strong healthy girl! So fun to hear about!

mrsblondies said...

Sorry about your dog's health issues. Glad to hear Kate is doing well.