The recall didn’t give much information except that the North Carolina Department of Agriculture Food & Drug Protection Division conducted a random test on a bag of spinach and confirmed positive contamination. No one has reported any illnesses.
I’m not positive that our particular bag was involved in the recall – it only impacted those marked with “best by” dates from 6/19/2010 – 6/27/2010. Since the remaining spinach was going bad, we tossed it out the night before and the trash man had already been and gone. We couldn’t check the dates. I’m assuming it was based on info from the FDA recall page which states something about all product codes indicating the “best by" dates involved and the fact that our grocery store contacted us based on our store bonus card purchase records. They have record of our purchases. I don't know if those records include the purchases' "best by" dates as well. I'm erring on the side of caution and assuming they do.
According to the CDC,
There is no routine screening test for listeriosis during pregnancy, as there is for rubella and some other congenital infections. If you have symptoms such as fever or stiff neck, consult your doctor. A blood or spinal fluid test (to cultivate the bacteria) will show if you have listeriosis. During pregnancy, a blood test is the most reliable way to find out if your symptoms are due to listeriosis.Further,
The risk of an individual person developing Listeria infection after consumption of a contaminated product is very small. If you have eaten a contaminated product and do not have any symptoms, we do not recommend that you have any tests or treatment, even if you are in a high-risk group. However, if you are in a high-risk group, have eaten the contaminated product, and within 2 months become ill with fever or signs of serious illness, you should contact your physician and inform him or her about this exposure.So now I’m on the lookout for mild flu-like symptoms such as fever, vomiting, nausea, achiness, and diarrhea for the next two months. Fortunately, I don’t appear to have any. I can’t remember when I ate some of the raw spinach (we had some cooked last week). Last weekend? I know I rinsed it before eating, if that helps.
All I know is that I want this baby to be born safe and healthy. I’ve never eaten contaminated food that I’m aware of. Now that I’m pregnant, of course, that’s when I start. All I can do is pray over it and ask for protection for our daughter. I know that if anything happens to hurt her, I will be furious.
4 comments:
That is very scary. I'm sorry you have to deal with such a huge worry. I'll be praying for you and your daughter.
Yuck. I worry about that all the time - mayo, greens, deli meat. Where does it end? Thankfully our bodies are very strong in fighting even large amounts of bacteria. Just keep watching your body for signs and praying - we will too :)
I am sure that they have to do this as a precaution, but it is still scary! Your chances of getting sick are low, I am thinking. Awful, though, to have that on your mind. Ugh.
Yikes! Hope the next two months fly by and you feel great the whole time!
Post a Comment