Wednesday, June 23, 2010

T minus 15 weeks

We're 25 weeks today, much to my surprise. I'm still nervous, of course (I'm fighting that every day), but it's lessened now that I can feel the baby move on occasion. It's becoming more real for DH and me. We're letting ourselves believe it all might actually happen. It's hard to let go of the worry after so long.

Some interesting new symptoms of note:

  • I'm starving.
  • I appear to be developing Symphysis Pubis Dysfunction (SPD) where the ligaments holding the pelvic bones together are loosening in preparation for birth a little too much. I'm not falling apart, although it sounds like it, I simply feel pain at the front of my pubic bone after a lot of activity. It could be much worse from what I've been reading - it's only uncomfortable occasionally and I can easily walk without waddling - so I'm not complaining. Anyway, it means my body's doing what it needs to do to get this baby out safely when the time comes. Good. I really don't want a c-section.
  • Heartburn. I've never had it before and I never want it again. I naively thought I wouldn't need to deal with it since it was never a problem before pregnancy. I've been dealing with it since at least the 20th week. Again, it shows my body's preparing for birth and the baby's growing, and that's a good thing. The Tums taste pretty good, too.
  • Bathroom runs are becoming more frequent, even in the middle of the night. That I bother to get up before the alarm goes off to use the bathroom is huge for me. Before Kate, I'd ignore it and go back to sleep. I don't mind. It's proof she's growing enough to make me uncomfortable.
  • I'm becoming hormonal. I should not be allowed behind the wheel of a car. I can't make it into work without wanting to run someone over. All other drivers are idiots bent on annoying me. All of them. It's not like my commute is long or covers large areas of congested highway. I take back roads. And they're still idiots.
  • Gaining weight, while expected and very welcome, is traumatic. I love my growing belly and the little girl inside it, but I catch myself looking longingly at pictures of thin women thinking that was me once. Can't have it both ways. Given a choice, I'll take the way I am now.
  • I'm still starving.

7 comments:

Sew said...

LOL! I actually see other womens waist line and think, I actually used to have one that was that defined. :) It's interesting how your mind plays with you as we pack it on....

I'm starving too. I hope I not still starving at 25 weeks. I don't think I can deal mentally with that. ;)

Percolating Petals said...

I'm almost 20 weeks and my road rage has been getting a bit worse...thanks for letting me know I'm not the only one. :)

Thankful said...

This cracked me up (except for the SPD and heartburn - ouch). Those darn thin girls... lol!

More Than Anything said...

I think everybody on the road is out to tick me off too...and I'm not even pregnant! Good grief....I can't even imagine.

P.S. I'm hungry all the time too...again NOT PREGNANT! :)

Praying for Hope said...

I'll admit, I wasn't particularly patient with other drivers or pedestrians before I was pregnant, either, but it's gotten worse. I can't drive without wanting to slap someone. And I always had the munchies. I wasn't necessarily hungry, just bored. Usually at work.

the misfit said...

"Gaining weight . . . is traumatic" - I don't think you put this too strongly. While I'm not pregnant (and have said to MANY friends, "You don't look fat. You look pregnant," which sounds helpful, to me), it's interesting how extremely strongly women react to gaining weight. You gain ten pounds, next season you might lose ten pounds...it's ten pounds. (Obviously, more with pregnancy.) But it is traumatic. And shouldn't be! I am sure you look fantastic (and pregnant). Glad to hear you're healthy.

mrsblondies said...

I'm sorry you are having to deal with the pelvic pain. I'm glad you're otherwise healthy and the baby is doing well.