Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I am a worrier

No doubt about it. I worried about grades while in school. I worried about never finding that someone to spend my life with in college. I worried about paying off student loans at graduation. I worried about ever finding a job I didn't hate during my early working years. I worried about ever having a child years before we started trying. I worried about having a successful pregnancy. I worried about a safe delivery.

And now I worry about her health, well-being, and future every day. I worry. Last week, I imagined every sort of horror after she bumped her head on the sink. Coma, concussion, bleeding into her brain, death - you name it, I thought about it. This week, I'm worrying about her cold, a cold she could only have picked up at the hospital where we brought her Gram for outpatient surgery and where we waited for most of the day until we could go home again. I'm envisioning all the mega hospital superbugs that you hear so much about. I mean, she's coughing more than she ever has before and she's developing a fever. How can I not worry?

I know worrying comes with the territory. I'd honestly hoped I'd bring it under control after we had our baby girl physically here with us. I didn't expect it, but . . . .

I could use the break from the constant fears. I wish I could be one of those moms who take everything in stride. The practical moms who imagine the most likely scenarios to every situation rather than the worst possible ones. That's not part of my makeup. Too bad. Life would be considerably easier if it were. I'm sure the life time of worrying has taken a good seven years off my life.

3 comments:

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

Yep, worrying is the part of a woman's nature that we have to constantly fight. There is a great book called The Worry Cure which helps identify why we (as individuals) feel the need to hang on to our worries, and then how to let go of them. Fascinating stuff!

Second Chances said...

That book sounds great Leila! My husband's a big worrier so we keep a copy of the gospel passage Luke 12:22-30 on our fridge. Go read it and r e l a x!!! God is in control :)

Amazing Life said...

I feel the same way. It is so bad that I am struggling to schedule the 4 mo wellbaby visit for his shots! It drives me bonkers sometimes!!