Monday, April 11, 2011

Six months

Six months ago at this time, I was holding our little girl for the first time as the doctor stiched up a tear. I held her tiny body on my chest, watching her bewildered expression as she took in the new world around her.

Six months. Where did the time go? I look at our little girl now and wonder what on Earth happened. She's so big. She's laughing and playing and interacting. She's trying to stand. She's this far from army crawling and rolling over. I watched her hold her head and shoulders up yesterday and feel confident enough in her balance to reach for a toy. I had to take another one of her 3 - 6 month outfits out of commission this morning and replace it with a 6 - 9 month onsie and pants.

I'm reminded of the Sunrise, Sunset song from Fiddler on the Roof.


Is this the little girl I carried? Is this the little boy at play? I don't remember growing older, When did they?

When did she get to be a beauty? When did he grow to be so tall? Wasn't it yesterday When they were small?

Sunrise, sunset Sunrise, sunset Swiftly flow the days Seedlings turn overnight to sunflowers Blossoming even as we gaze

Sunrise, sunset Sunrise, sunset Swiftly fly the years One season following another Laden with happiness and tears

It's that last line in the second stanza that keeps running through my head, "Wasn't it yesterday when they were small?" I realize it's only been six months: she's still small. But to me, she's such a big girl.

1 comment:

Amazing Life said...

I feel the same way and Joseph will be just 4 months on Friday! It is fun to watch them grow and learn even though they are growing up faster than we wish :)