It only took her 19 months to pick up that notorious word, no . . . and on Mother's Day weekend, no less. But do you know what? I think it will be an improvement. Prior to no, her favorite method of communicating the concept was to whine, fuss, wave her arms, and threaten a meltdown. Now she can funnel all of that in to a simple, concise "no". It's not that we didn't understand what the fuss, whine, and meltdown meant, but using our words is a much less traumatic form of communication for everyone, one that won't leave her sniffling and tear-streaked.
She has 26 words now, not including the signed-only words and the probably-are-words-but-not-positive. I've read of children her age with more than 100. Kudos. I'm happy with our 26. I think she's doing quite well. I actually believe that she has more than that, but DH and I aren't picking them up. It's only when she says something in context repeatedly that we're able to see them.
For instance, did you know "maw" stands for moon? We didn't until I heard her saying it over the course of several books one day and pointing to the moon outside her window. And "buh", I believe, means bus. I'm still on the fence about that one since "bah" is her go-to word for everything she doesn't yet have a word for. But she does say "buh" and not "bah" consisently when she's pointing at a bus. The "no" I'm pretty sure about. That one is emphatic.
No comments:
Post a Comment