Thursday, September 16, 2010

Autumn already?

I can't believe autumn will be here next week. Where did the summer go? I know that summer weather can be hot, hot, hot, but I love not being cold, cold, cold. It's wonderful to walk outside with the dog just before bed and not feel a hint of cold. I'm going to miss that just as I do every year.

I'm going to miss the over-abundance of fresh tomatoes, too. Last year, we got nothing. The tomatoes rotted on the vine the moment they started to ripen. This year, we decided to "share" a garden with our neighbor. They dug the garden, we bought the plants, and we all try to work on keeping it up. The neighbors couldn't have chosen a more perfect spot. We can't keep up with the veggies.

We have so many tomatoes, I'm planning to stew some along with olive oil and onions and some fresh eggplant from another neighbor. A good, slow cooking time might condense it all down enough to make a nice vegetarian sandwich filling which I can freeze over the Winter. It would also make for a great soup addition to fill out some of the anemic canned soups we have in the basement. Oooo, or a pizza topping to replace the usual sauce. Mmmmmm. Oh, oh, oh, or a pasta topping with a few shavings of asiago cheese . . . . (a few moments of silence as I salivate).

I think I'll eat my snack now. For no reason that I can fathom, I'm famished.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Oh my gosh I am so hungry now! Our tomatoes rotted before even growing this year?! is there a trick? we just started our garden a couple years ago but have yet to be successful with tomatoes, which totally bums me out.

I am with you on fall - i love walking outside wihout a nip of cold...I despise cold - boo hiss! Although fall has it's advantages.

Leila@LittleCatholicBubble said...

Love the post, then I look over at your baby ticker.... I can't believe you are full term already!! So amazing!!!