First, let me say that I am not complaining. I am stating facts. I am making notes for the record for others who might be curious about what they'll be facing and for myself so I can remember this period of my life . . . .
My ribs hurt. My pubic bone is sending me twinges of pain whenever I walk, or twist, lay wrong, or turn in bed. My nether region is achy from the increase in blood volume and swelling and what I'm assuming is my little girl dropping into my pelvis. Acid reflux is my near constant companion. I can't sleep. I can't shave. I can't bend. Moving at anything beyond a fast walk is physically not possible.
Pregnancy up to this point hasn't been bad. I've had cramping here and there as Kathleen grows but nothing I'd call terribly uncomfortable. Then the third trimester hit and I learned that everything they tell you about the discomfort is true. My goodness, is it ever.
I have a theory about that. It's to get you ready. If it weren't for the third trimester discomfort, you'd want to be pregnant forever. There's something about feeling that little person moving inside of you that's amazing. You're no longer one person, you're two. And let's face it, who looks forward to the pain of labor and delivery? The third trimester is just as necessary to prepare the mother for birth as it is to prepare the baby.
I'm so ready. Pain? Bring it on. Episiotomy? Sure, if I need to. Insanely huge epidural needle? It holds no fear for me. The embarrassment of having strangers converging on parts of my anatomy that I'd rather keep private? Whatever. The mortification of having a BM while pushing . . . . Okay, well, that part concerns me a little.
4 comments:
Man, I hear ya! Some days I feel like I can hardly walk. The heaviness is unreal. You're absolutely right...we're ready to deliver! I'll race ya!
Haha! I love the last paragraph! (And the first.. I always start with a similar disclaimer). I'm just starting the third trimester and I already definitely feel uncomfortable. And I know there's much more to come! Sorry you have to deal with it, but at least the end is near. And your theory makes perfect sense!
The last paragraph is great! You are almost there! Hoping for a smooth and healthy delivery for you guys!
Ugh, I kept telling the midwife, "I'm nervous about pooping!" and she said, "If you think yours would be the first poop I've seen today, you'd be wrong."
But hey, guess what? I didn't poop!
I had a C-Section and threw up gallons of vomit all over her.
True story.
(She was such a rockstar - the next time I saw her I apologized and her eyes got big and she said, "Oh yeah! I forgot about that! Girl, so many women throw up on me it literally makes NO impression.")
Post a Comment