Friday, May 20, 2011

Pleasant surprises

I was looking at our side garden yesterday. It's covered in weeds, but amongst the weeds, I see several hundred tomato plants coming up. I had five plants there last year which sprouted when I tossed a tray of seedlings that weren't doing well. This year's crop is from the drops, the tomatoes which fell from the plants and rotted before I could get to them. Awesome! I didn't have any time to start seeds this year.

We have pansies growing in that garden, too. I have no idea how. I never planted any there. We had some in the front garden which scorched and died last year, but these aren't the same. They're bigger. We did have a pot of pansies on the porch two years ago which looked like that. That's the only explanation I can find. I wonder why they didn't come up last year? Maybe they did and I pulled them as weeds.

Speaking of the front garden pansies, they must have seeded. We have some of those coming up. I'm so glad. I started those from seed a few years ago. I was a little miffed with MIL when she dug one of them up to give to me on behalf of Kathleen on Mother's Day. She meant well, and I took it in the spirit it was offered, but I wanted to keep them in the ground until they were big enough to transplant. I plan to move them into the side garden which has the afternoon shade. Not yet, though. They're a little young to move without risking damage to them.

I'm thrilled. I wasn't expecting anything in those gardens but the daylillies and mums. I'll have to find time to get out there and do some weeding. It's been too wet to even think about it.

1 comment:

Kim said...

What a pleasant surprise and a beautiful depiction of how life happen when we least expect it. Always on someone else's time, not our own. Enjoy those tomatoes & pansies. Xoxoxox