Thursday, January 19, 2012

Fevers

The poor baby goose has a fever. Daycare called me shortly before 3:00 on Tuesday to pick her up. She had a fever of 101.2, just over the cutoff for being allowed to stay. It rose over the course of the evening – not surprisingly since body temperature (and, therefore, fevers) rise during the day – so due to that and daycare’s policy of not letting kids come back until they’ve been fever free 24 hours, I kept her home yesterday. She seemed okay during the day. She was more tired the normal, but I expected that. While her fever rose again yesterday evening, it didn’t seem has high as it was that time the day before.

That brings us to today. Fevers usually last several days, but the severity tapers off each day. I took a gamble and brought her in to her to daycare. It seemed like a good move at the time. She ate some breakfast, chugged her milk, wanted to play . . . She even laughed at daddy. When we got there, however, she was acting tired and clingy. I’m thinking I took her back too soon. I have a feeling I’ll be getting a call this afternoon – maybe even this morning – to pick her up. That poor baby.

We’re reasonably certain that the fever is a reaction to the MMR vaccine last week. The pediatrician told us the greatest chance for a reaction is 7 – 12 days later. According to some pediatric site, the fever – likely due to the measles component – lasts 2 - 3 days. It hit Tuesday, so it could well last until tomorrow. We’ll find out.

***********************

I gambled and lost: we're back home again.

No comments: