Tuesday, January 31, 2012

In the great green room . . .

. . . there was a telephone
and a red balloon
and a picture of --

The cow jumping over the moon

And there were three little bears sitting on chairs

And two little kittens

And a pair of mittens

And little toy house

And a young mouse . . .

Do you want to hear more? I know it by heart. It's Kathleen's favorite book, by far (with Sneakers the Seaside Cat running a close second), and one we've been reading over and over and over and over again ever since Kathleen's book obsession emerged this past month. She's always enjoyed books, but now she loves them.

I personally enjoy story time. I absolutely love that Kathleen brings me a book she wants me to read to her. She'll hand it to me, turn around, back up, and flop into my lap. Life is good, and the book reading can begin.

I remember doing this same thing with my mom decades ago. Only then, it was the big, red book of fairy tales. Mom would sit on the couch; I would be next to her - maybe even in her lap. She'd read aloud while I absorbed the words and looked at the wonderful pictures. These are among my fondest memories.

No comments: