Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Why did we bother naming her Kathleen?

I'm apt to use pet names a lot . . . usually with my pets. For instance, Sadie is Puppa McGuppa, Saderlie, Sades, Sadester, Baby Girl, Budge, Budgie, Udga Budga, Pupster, Nutter, and Budga-boo. Muggles, our cat, is Mugs, Mugwump, Mugglator, Purrfur, Purrzer, Nutter, Nut What, Kit Wit, Witness, Kittenest Witness (no idea how the Witnesses came to be), Pretty Purr, Psycho Cat, and Silly Purr. I know I have other nonsensical names for both of them, but these are the ones that come to mind. I don't know why I do this, but I do.

It struck me the other day that my habit has expanded to include Kathleen. I don't know how often I call her by some name that is not own. Some examples:




  • Baby


  • Baby Girl


  • Katie Girl


  • Katester


  • Nutter


  • Silly Manilly


  • Destructacon (DH's name for her)


  • Silly Goose


  • Goosey Goose


  • Goose


  • Little Goose


  • Tiny


  • Tiny Girl


  • Teeny Tiny


  • Mini Me (I don't use this so often anymore)


  • Grump


  • Grumpette


  • Grumpetti


  • Noise Maker


  • Little Miss


  • Young Miss


  • Young Lady


  • Stubborn


  • Most Beautiful Baby In The Universe (goes without saying)


  • Sweetie


The one thing I don't call her - and the reason liked the name Kathleen to begin with - is Kate. I type it when I'm writing about her (something I do nearly every day in her journal), but actually saying . . . I'm disappointed. It's a name my grandmother would call me when she wasn't using my full name. I wanted to pass it on.

2 comments:

KC said...

I totally get it. We call Ella:
Ella Bella, Snicklefritz, Boo-ga-loo, Silly Goose, Baby Girl, Sweetheart, Sweet Girl, Baby Cakes, Honey Bun, Pinky Lee, etc.

It's ridiculous really...! :) But I couldn't stop if I tried!

Praying for Hope said...

You reminded of a few more: Boo, Boop, Boopster, and Baby Boo. It's out of control. I wonder that they learn their true names at all. :)