Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Screeching and other baby updates

Kate was a bear this weekend. Friday and Saturday weren’t too bad – I’d say she was no fussier than usual – but Sunday afternoon . . . . Constant screeching. She’s probably just practicing. She’s nearly perfected it. Her shrieks can etch glass, and she’s quickly edging into glass shattering territory. I’m not sure the china in the cupboard can be saved. The windows are tempered glass – they may survive.

Seriously, I’m not entirely certain how often she’s fussy or just practicing. The screeching sounds crabby, but I was noticing yesterday that if I didn’t run to her immediately, she’d continue playing while screeching 89% of the time. As unpleasant and unhappy as it sounds, it may simply be one of her new sounds and she's trying it out.

I'll admit, there are times where I honestly believe she’s trying to manipulate us. Perhaps manipulate is too strong a word. She's developing an understanding of cause and effect. She screeches, we come running. I’m almost positive she’s made the connection. I can see her shrieking on her play mat as I leave the room for a moment. She’s looking right at me, and she continues until I give her my complete attention again. And nothing less than complete, 100%, absolute attention will suffice. She wants what she wants and she will get what she wants. My prima donna.

We put her in her tidal pool on Sunday. The water was cold – cooler than I liked – but she didn’t seem to mind. She didn’t know what to make of it initially. She sat there looking at the spouts of water around her. She got the idea once I got her feet kicking. After that, she waved her hand at the fountains, stuck her head in them (I don’t know if that was intentional), and had a great time. I wish we had remembered to get a picture of her.

She’s moving, too – backwards. She propelled herself around the kitchen in reverse on Sunday, and she did it again yesterday in her room before bed. It may have been accidental, but I wouldn’t put my faith in that. She’s pivoting herself around on her belly like a pro. She hasn’t gotten her bottom up yet, but she’s getting closer than ever. She even tried to pull herself up on the coffee table once. This progress has all happened within the course of two weeks. She’s getting there.

She tried mangos for the first time this weekend. Success. This is the first time she hasn’t made a face at a new food. She liked them. What’s more, she was leaning forward for another spoonful. They’re tasty, especially mixed with applesauce. Very tasty indeed. We’ll need to pick up some more. We only bought one pouch in case she didn't like them.

Peek-a-boo! How could I forget peek-a-boo. It's a favorite game now. I use one of her many, many receiving blankets to hide myself from her. After a magically reappearing a few times, Kate got the idea and started pulling the blanket down herself. I love her big, gummy grin when she finds her mom again. She's so proud of herself. I am too. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog. It is nice to find some blogs with "older" moms. I am 40 this year. Ugh. I have a little boy and we are trudging through secondary infertility. Congrats on your little girl.