Monday, June 27, 2011

Sleep regressions and other things

Your baby is also going through enormous developmental spurts that you can't see, because they're dealing with cognitive processes. They work through these spurts the same way they work through the physical spurts, but when your baby is practicing recognizing patterns, you can't see that. Leading up to the actual new skill the baby is going to go through several weeks of intense brain work and prep that you can't necessarily see (unless you know specifically what to look for). One of the side effects of this brain work is that they don't sleep as well as they do during times in which they're not about to master a new skill. They may seem restless in the night (like they do sometimes when mastering a physical skill) but it's just nothing you can see and label. . . .

According to Vanderijt and Plooij, the spurts happen at weeks 5, 8, 12, 19, 26, 37, 46, and 55 (that's as far as they studied). . . .

The “8-month sleep regression” (which for some babies is closer to a 9-month sleep regression) is related to the 37-week spurt. For some reason that one just seems to cause more waking, too, than some of the other spurts do. It might also be particularly hard because many babies are smack in the middle of working on crawling or walking, and also teething.
-- http://moxie.blogs.com/askmoxie/2006/02/qa_what_are_sle.html

37 weeks today. Can you guess what’s happening? Actually, once she falls asleep, she isn’t too bad. She’s been waking up relatively early for most of June – between 4:30 and 5:30 – but she actually slept until 6:30 this morning and 7:30 on Sunday morning! Putting her to bed – that’s a whole other story.

She was in rare form this weekend. Starting on Friday night, she wouldn’t fall asleep when I put her in her crib. She preferred rolling around, babbling, smiling at me with one brief outburst half an hour later that was calmed with a pacifier. That’s not so bad. But on Saturday night after 20 minutes of this baby on the move phase, she started wailing. I have no idea why. She was obviously tired, but she couldn’t fall asleep. It could have been much worse. It was probably for no more than ten minutes, but it felt like thirty. At one point, I found her stuck face down, screaming, with her arm through the crib railing. Scared the crap out of me. We're going to have to invest in those mesh crib bumpers. Her limbs are sticking through the crib railings entirely too often for my comfort.

She was rolling around like crazy last night. I watched her as she rolled on to her stomach several times. She cried, trying right herself again, but she didn’t manage it. I helped her, and she was happy again. She was on her tummy again this morning. We’re going to have to work with her on the rolling front to back thing.

She’s putting in a real effort to get moving. We can now put her on her hands and knees and have her stay there for a short time consistently. She even managed to get there once on her own while I was watching. She’s constantly rocking back and forth on her bottom. She’s going after toys just out of reach, occasionally ending up face down or in some other awkward position from which she needs help extricating herself. It’s progress.

The infants and young toddlers took a stroll to Broad Street Market, one of the oldest continuously running farmers' markets in the country, on Friday during daycare. Kathleen fell asleep on the way over. She wasn’t impressed, I guess. I’m sure she will be when she gets older. The kids get to buy something at the market. I’m guessing it’s fruit for everyone since I found an orange in Kathleen’s locker on Friday.

I don’t know when we’ll be starting finger food with her. We’re nervous parents. I’m afraid of choking – so, so afraid. She had a fry in her hand yesterday, I was paranoid. The moment it looked like she was about to get a chunk off of it, I took it away. She did get a taste of it if the expression on her face was anything to judge by. You’d think it was poison. Really, my cooking is not that bad.

I may try avocado with her this week. DH bought some and it’s nice and soft. I don’t know if I’ll mash it or give her an entire slice to gnaw on. Probably mash. She’d be able to gnaw of a chunk too easily. I’m sure it would be larger than I’m comfortable giving her.

No comments: