Thursday, June 9, 2011

Time, time, time

Both DH and I are exhausted. I’m afraid it’s taking a toll on our patience. It doesn’t help either that we don’t have time to get much at all done. My weekday evenings are nothing but making dinner, pumping, bathing Kathleen every other day, putting her to bed, taking a shower, and pumping again. That’s it. I do my best to fit in some one-on-one play time in there, but that’s it.

I don’t have the opportunity to do a lot of the things I used to do or would like to do. I don’t get a chance to take Sadie or Muggles out in the evening. I never get to exercise anymore which really bothers me. I don’t have time just to sit and spend with DH. If I do find time, I’m usually falling asleep. I’m up early, go to bed late, and never sleep in on the weekends. How can I with a baby who takes to heart the saying about the early bird?

DH’s right, I need to start putting her to bed earlier. That may be contributing to her poor sleep at night (that and the eight month sleep regression thing). But as I told him this morning when he brought it up, I don’t know when I could do it. I started her bath and the bedtime routine right after pumping last night. The only thing I did between coming home from work and pumping was make dinner. No sitting down or relaxing at all. I hesitate to ask DH to take on the occasional night time routine since he’s busy as well. I hate to add on to his load just to make mine easier. He's stressed enough now.

How can I get so little done in six hours? I get home at 4:30 and rarely manage to get to bed before 10:30. Where does the time go? Let’s see, two pumping sessions and cleaning up afterwards takes a minimum of an hour. Getting her bottles and my lunch ready for the next day, 15 – 20 minutes. Feeding her twice, 20 – 30 minutes. Dinner from preparation to clean up, 2 hours on average. Bathing her, 20 minutes. Bathing me, brushing, flossing, and getting ready for bed, 45 minutes on average. Her bedtime routine, 30 – 40 minutes. Add that up, you get about 5 ½ hours. I didn’t include changing after work because I don’t often get a chance to do that. Nor did I include feeding the girls or taking a few minutes with DH to discuss our days. I also usually try to find time to play with her. Is it any wonder I can’t find time to exercise?

I’m not really complaining. There is no way on earth I’d trade places with anyone. There’s no way I’d give up what I have now to have more time. I take one look at Kathleen and am amazed that we have a baby. I never thought we would. I never believed I’d have kids in spite of wanting children so badly since before I met DH. The fact that Kathleen is here is surreal, plain and simple. She's our miracle. We can't imagine not having her in our lives. My lament is that I wish we could manage our daily lives to find more time for the other things that need to get done and for ourselves. We need to work smarter. I don’t know what we’re doing wrong.

Well, I’ve started doing one thing I think will help on the weekends. I’m taking a Magic Eraser to the shower floor when I notice it getting cruddy during the week. That takes more hard scrubbing that it should on the weekends. I’ll have to reinstate 5 – 10 minute yoga session before my showers or while she’s playing to get in my exercise for the week. I can do yoga while I watch her. It’s a pain, but at least it gets done. Walking over lunch is tough during the hot weather, but I'm hoping taking the stairs every morning (seven flights) helps. I can always hike between the buildings through the tunnels. Two circuits and the stairs should add up to about 30 minutes. If I can find the tunnel to the Forum Building and the return tunnel in Keystone Building, I can add a fifth and sixth building to the circuit and another ten minutes or more.

Work smarter.



This why I'd never trade my life now for one with more time.

No comments: