Thursday, June 25, 2009

Happy 40th to my husband

My DH is 40 today. He's taking it much better than I thought. He actually smiled this morning. Good.

40 is a difficult birthday. It's the transition year that takes you into middle age. You have the perception that you're leaving your younger self behind and the only thing you see ahead are aches, pains, and wrinkles. You don't look any different, you don't feel any different, but you're 40. You have to start checking the next box on the form.

This is all theory on my part: I won't find out for certain in another nine months and two days.

An associated theory of mine: the birthdays after this get easier. My mom flew through her 50th and 60th birthdays, but she didn't take her 40th well. My aunt and two of my uncles aren't phased anymore. I'll be able to test out this theory for certain in a little over a year when my youngest uncle turns 50. He went kicking and screaming into his 40th year. We'll see what he does with the 50th. It should be interesting.

Anyway, I'm picking up DH's cake tonight. Because it's a milestone birthday - and because it's a work day - I ordered a chocolate cake with peanut butter icing from a local bakery. I may pick up some pepperoni bread - one of his favorite treats - while I'm there. And some red velevet cake slices (one of my favorite treats). Then I'll go home and grill him a nice steak dinner with a veggie burger on the side for me. Mmmmmm, veggie burger.

6 comments:

prayerfuljourney said...

Happy 40th to your dh. I have about one year and a month until I experience the big 40 myself. Gosh...It seems like it comes up quickly. Since I will be finishing my teaching certification the fall after my 40th...my dh and I have been thinking we may go on some kind of "big" trip for Christmas break to celebrate both milestones. That sounds nice and something to look forward too. But for now...I just want to get to 39 in July...and through one more year of classes. Hope you and your dh enjoy the bday evening! Blessings.

the misfit said...

It's funny how different birthdays take people differently. I know a lot of people who took thirty really badly. Not because the thirties are OLD (whereas it seems like people dread 40 because of being in your forties), but because the twenties are YOUNG and when they're over, so is your youth. I know that's dumb, but I also understand the feeling. It's odd that we attach such significance to things that are so abstract. But, I'm glad he's enjoying his birthday!

Fertile Thoughts said...

You're such a sweet wife! I am sure your Dh will appreaciate your special dinner and treats for the evening :) Happy Birthday to you hubby!

~Amber

Living Advent said...

Happy Birthday to your DH! I don't think I've commented on your blog since I got back. Thank you for all your prayers and comments! I was just catching up on your blog and now I'm craving cinnamon rolls!!

A said...

Hope you and DH had a wonderful birthday celebration!!

Praying for Hope said...

Thanks for the vicarious birthday wishes for my dear husband. The day passed happily. The cake was delicious, of course (it's cake: how could it not be); he loved the pepperoni bread; I quite enjoyed the red velvet cake. We spent the period between dinner and cake racing each other in the basement: he on the treadmill, I on the stationary bike ("He" and "I" - proper grammar sounds so pompous). He clobbered me in calories, but I got him in distance. Ha! (Oh, oh, right, his birthday - he won! That's right, he won. Yes. :) )

The next 40th birthday will be mine. 9 months, 1 day and counting.