I'm afraid my postings have been revolving about one thing: Kathleen. This started out as in infertility blog of a "mature" (hah!) woman trying to conceive and failing. Now that I'm no longer TTC, it'd hard to find things to write about on that topic. It's not that I don't continue to have an interest in it - I still concern myself over other women's experiences in the area and I continue to empathize completely - but I haven't much to blog about it personally anymore.
It's time for the nature of this blog to change.
Starting today - okay, starting on October 11, 2010 - I will begin focusing more on daily life. Individual posts may or may not center around my daughter, although as she's a large focus of my life just now as I learn my new role as a working parent, we'll probably have more mays than may nots. I say this as a warning to those who continue to struggle with infertility who may not be comfortable with that kind of talk. I completely understand that.
So, on we go.
We are starting the second week of our "new" life. Daycare for Kathleen, work for me, and work from home with no one else in the house for DH. I'm getting used to daycare. I miss her, of course, but I'm happy with our decision to let her attend. She's meeting other kids, something which is very important to me. I don't know the type of person she will grow up to be, but if she has any of her mother in her, she may be inclined to be shy. I want her to have the best start she can in meeting other children and adults, getting used to them, gaining experience in making friends.
My pre-K life involved our baby sitter. There's nothing wrong with that, but it was just the babysitter, her son, my brother, and me until I started kindergarten. I believe that, had daycare been an option when I was growing up (there weren't many in the '70s), I'd have benefited. Maybe I'd be more outgoing now. Maybe I'd be less nervous in new situations. Maybe, maybe, maybe. We'll never know. But I do know that my daughter will have every opportunity to meet people and grow in confidence.
On the home front, I continue to try balancing our baby girl's needs with the things around the house that need to get done. We have a long way to go. I managed to clean the bathrooms, wipe down part of the kitchen counter, make our meals, and pump this weekend, but that was it. Everything else was her. Her laundry is still sitting in the clothes basket and the dryer. If it weren't for my husband, mine would be sitting in a pile on the bed.
I haven't even been able to walk the dog, poor thing. We are going to have to do something about that. Sadie needs her walks. It's not fair to keep her in the house all day, every day, because we can't find time to let her do anything but pee and poop. She needs exercise. Her needs - all of them including exercise and entertainment - are our responsibility, too. The same goes for our cat. They deserve a quality of life, as well.
I'm sure it will get easier as Kate becomes more independent and learns to entertain herself. She's starting. It completely amazes me to see her look at a toy and reach for it. I know it's elemetary, but I'm amazed. She's focusing, she's aware of her surroundings, she's making decisions, and she's taking action. Incredible. Such a huge change from three months ago or even one month ago. I can't believe how she's developing. Before we know it, she'll be crawling. Where we're going to put the cat and dog bowls when she does . . . . Well, we'll come up with something.
2 comments:
I think you are doing a great job adjusting to your new life! I am not anti-daycare, but since I work from home, I have thought that a babysitter/nanny who would come here during the day would be ideal at least while I am nursing. I am really interested in your decision to choose daycare for the socialization aspect. Keep up the great posts!
DH enjoyed having Kate at home. His biggest problem was the distraction she caused while he was trying to concentrate on work. He has problems hearing her cry and letting someone else handle the situation. If you are able to focus on work with an infant in the house, a nanny or babysitter is ideal. Pumping is surprisingly time consuming.
Post a Comment