Saturday, February 5, 2011

Finding balance

One of the hardest things about parenthood, aside from lack of sleep, is finding balance between your needs and the baby's. During those first weeks and months, baby is completely dependent on you for everything: food, baths, entertainment, diaper changes, etc. You are tethered to her every need. And you fill those needs the best you can. At the same time, your needs - the need to eat, sleep, shower, work, exercise, keep the house from exploding into a pig sty - they don't go away. They still need to be filled, as well. It's a tough balance to find.

Babyiss are a blow to your routine. They turn your life upside down. One could even say they are a burden. But it doesn't follow that the burden - which is defined as "a difficult or worrying responsibility or duty" (can you think of a better description of a baby?) - isn't welcome or wanted. Me, I don't think I'd call our girl a burden - in spite of the definition, the word traditionally has negative connotations - but I'd call her a challenge. Yes, a challenge. She keeps me on my toes. She makes me rethink my priorities and ask myself if this task is really necessary. She forces me to cut out the stuff I don't need. She is an amazing, little being. And all she does is lay their and coo and smile . . . the little life changer. All for the better.

I suppose balance is part of why I'm thankful for daycare. Without it, I couldn't work. I'd personally prefer not to work, but it has to be. Besides, it gives her time to meet other children - something that's very important to me - and it allows her parents to be adults again. It also makes me appreciate all the more the 4:00 hour when I get to see her again.

No comments: