Tuesday, March 10, 2009

I want my tea!

Hm, I'm blocked from the mircowave. New mother coworker, pregnant coworker, and mature coworker with grown children are discussing babies, pregnancy, and pediatricians in front of the microwave and water cooler in our office "kitchenette". Not only can't I get water, I can't heat it to make another cup of tea. They've been there for about 20 minutes and are still going strong. I have my headphones filtering their chatter. Thank goodness for that.

One day, when I'm finally pregnant (if I ever get there):

  • I'm not going to flaunt it in front of the entire office.
  • I'm not going to discuss my pregnancy or babies continuously for months on end.
  • I'm not going to complain about every ache, pain, twinge, and bout of nausea or insomnia.
  • I'm not going to walk on egg shells, having people do things for me because I'm pregnant and suddenly unable to do anything for myself.
  • I'm not going to grouse about going to the bathroom every hour on the hour because the baby is getting big enough to start pressing on my bladder.
  • I'm going to drive myself to work even though a dusting of snow covers the ground.
  • I'm going to dodge questions on morning sickness, weight gain, baby showers, etc.
  • I'm going to have a life outside my pregnancy because I don't know who else might be in the situation I'm in now shouting in her head, "Shut up already! And move so I can make some tea. Geez!"

    Oooo! Ooo! They're done! They're done! They're breaking up! I can make my tea! Woo hoo!

1 comment:

prayerfuljourney said...

I feel the same way you do too. I think I would be the quiet type and not flaunt. I rarely flaunt about anything now. So why would I start if I was pregnant? It's not necessary. In reality...no one cares about women who can't have children...just us IF women care about each other. I feel like I'm not part of that "world" and I have to walk away or not look at blogs that talk about pregnancy or show ultrasound pictures. That's when I turn away. I know what I want to listen too or see. I'm happy for all the women who have babies...but I don't have to be subjected to all that information either. God has given me the strength to protect myself...I used to feel like I had to listen and ooh and ahh...not anymore...I smile and make my exit politely. I think you did the right thing by walking away too. Blessings.