Thursday, April 9, 2009

After the appointment

I may not be the primary cause of our fertility problems. We went to my appointment with Dr. Stegman as planned. The first thing we discussed was the result of DHs last SA. Good news and bad news. The numbers were no worse than they were with the first SA - and some of them were much better - but the one thing the needed to improve, didn't. Forward progression is still 1+. On the upside, concentration improved from 40 or 45 million per mL to 93 million per mL, morphology was 94% (also an improvement), and motility was 60%. It has to be the vitamins he's taking in place of the Proxeed.

So how do we improve forward progression? What good does it do to have great concentration if his swimmers are wiggling in place? I believe 1+ means that there is occasional forward movement. Is it enough for at least one of them to get where it needs to be one day?

It's a little depressing. It seems like there's so much they can do to improve a woman's fertility, but not so much with a man's.

Dr. Stegman recommended that DH see a local urologist. He's also going to call a urologist in Philadelphia who has some interest in male infertility to see if there's anything else DH could be doing. For my part, I'm to take steps to make sure the mucus is as optimal as it can be. It's not bad now, but there's room for improvement. I'm supposed to start taking Mucinex twice a day from CD8 - P+1. I'm also going to be doing 500 mg of extended release B6 daily for two months. After that, it'll be 100 mg daily.

That's it. I was hoping for more. But if the primary problem isn't me, what can you do? My hormones are decent. Clomid won't do any good (which, by the way, Dr. Stegman said we won't be trying yet since I'm ovulating well on my own). I don't know.

I'd really rather it were me. DH is going to be down on himself now. He takes a negative view of things. Rather than using the bad news as a spur to improve the situation, he tends to wallow in it. Then he feels worse and wallows some more. That's my hubby. I love my sweet pessimist.

2 comments:

Living Advent said...

I'm so glad that I'm the pessimist in our house! DH is a total optimist and he still needs A LOT of encouragement. If he was a pessimist like me, I'd be beside myself.

I so totally get your statement "I'd really rather it were me." I'll be praying for your husband - when one of our docs remarked on the high white blood count in the SA, I saw my DH's face fall. I think as hard as all this is on us that it's harder on the men.

the misfit said...

I know what you mean. Given my medical history (and the little b/w I've had), I'm clearly at LEAST part of the problem in my house. But I do worry that it will turn out that the DH has problems as well (actually, he smokes, so that seems likely), because I am afraid he will be both guilt-ridden and crippled by feelings of inadequacy. I am hoping that either he is fine (good) or there's a fairly even-handed diagnosis of reproductive problems (workable). You have your share of risk factors, too, right? Maybe that doesn't help...