Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Remembering old times

We had a big clean out at my mom's this weekend. The house had accumulated 25 years' worth of junk - old clothes, text books, magazines, toys, etc. - and it was showing. Some of it had accumulated in our old rooms. My brother decided that it was high time we clear out our things and help mom empty out the basement of piles of useless, moldy junk. So we did.

I'm afraid my brother was considerably more ruthless than I was. Many of the things he tossed were mom's and they were still functional. I'd have saved them, but mom didn't put up a fuss, so into the dumpster they went.

While my brother pitched most of the paraphernalia in his room without looking through it first, I couldn't do that. I'm glad. If I had, I'd have lost some things that are dear to me. I managed to salvage my old girl scout uniform and books, a bunch of old pictures, some old report cards, my hospital ID bracelet from when I was born, my old baby spoon engraved with my name and birthday, and some old cards and letters.

I couldn't help reading through some of those cards. They brought back so many memories. I discovered some from my husband when we were first dating, and I even found some written by my grandmother while I was in college. To have lost those would have been devastating. My grandmother died 8-1/2 years ago.

It was a productive weekend overall. It went much more smoothly than I'd have thought. The only, ummmmm, "difficult" moments were from my brother. After 37 years, you'd think he'd have outgrown the bratty little brother phase. You'd think, but you'd be wrong. He always had a bit of an ego, but I'm afraid his years in NYC have enhanced that unfortunate aspect of his personality. If he weren't my brother, I'd have had to pound him a few times. I love him dearly - really - but I'm grateful for my husband running interference for me on Sunday.

It was nice to spend a little time with mom. We talk on the phone every week or two, but I don't get to see her often . . . or my cats. I loved seeing my little girls and Dexter. Of course, I only saw about 30 seconds of Tolkien as she ran, meowing, down the basement steps, scrambled up the cinder block wall, and burrowed into the insulation. Evidently, she finds my brother a little trying, too.

I was surprised how small Yucca and Matata have become. They're the matriarchs. Yucca is 19 years old; Matata, 15. I don't think Yuc weighs more than 5 pounds now. She used to be a hefty little cat. I'm concerned, but she is 19. She's relatively active, purring up a storm whenever she's given a good scratch or brushing (which happens frequently). She's as healthy as she can be at her age. So is Mata, thank Heavens. They're my girls.

On a TTC note, I'm using the Mucinex as Dr. S directed. I started Sunday, CD8, and I'm noticing a difference already. I was very much surprised to find see 10KL this morning. Cool. I'll be interested to see how the time release B6 affects it. I'll have to wait for that, however, since it's on backorder. 'Shame. Still, it's something to look forward to.

2 comments:

Fertile Thoughts said...

Hey that's great you got to keep so much of your old stuff. My mom threw away tons of my stuff. UGH! What great memories to have :) YEAH! I am happy for you. I can't believe your cats are that old. WOW. Never heard of such a thing.

Mucinex is a God send. HAHA.

the misfit said...

I used to love visiting my kitties whenever I would go to my mom's house too...I'm impressed with the longevity of yours!